Strategy and organisation
Corporate treasury has touchpoints across the entire enterprise. A well-defined treasury strategy is required to guide day-to-day operational business decisions while working across the enterprise. We work with corporate treasury organisations to benchmark current practice and future-proof treasury strategies that support your business requirements. This includes:
- Evaluating performance relative to peers;
- Executing treasury transformation;
- Determining the treasury vision;
- Designing a target operating model; and
- Enhancing governance structure and organisational design.
Processes and control
Transparency and compliance are mandatory to safeguard the interests of all stakeholders. Core treasury often involves a few specialists dealing with high value and complex transactions. Our team’s experience leading treasury audits can help design and improve your treasury processes by reviewing policies and procedures to close gaps, including cybersecurity, fraud risk, internal controls, and board expectations; and providing internal audit support.
Cash and liquidity management
Cash and liquidity management are at the heart of corporate treasury management and more than ever before, the focus is on internal processes including payment/receivables factories, in-house banking solutions and trade finance.
Given the dynamic marketplace of banking and technology vendors, new solutions surface frequently. We assist in evaluating new processes to help improve visibility, control, cost and predictability by:
- Evaluating and selecting the right banking partners and services;
- Developing and implementing a robust and dynamic cash forecasting programme;
- Designing and implementing in-house banking, payment factory, pooling and netting structures; and
- Enhancing the effectiveness of your performance reporting.
Financial risk management
A traditional objective of treasury is managing foreign exchange and interest rate risk within the risk tolerance levels of the company. However, commodity risk management is increasingly falling under the scope of treasury. Financial risk management requires solid risk management policies and a deep understanding of the underlying exposures from a reliable exposure forecast.
Our team can help you reduce volatility of margins, earnings and cash flows by:
- Analysing the interest rate, foreign currency, commodity and counterparty/credit risk of your organisation;
- Determining strategic, operational and financial risk mitigation solutions; and
- Designing improved processes, controls and reporting.
Treasury accounting and valuation
Accounting frameworks define accounting for financial instruments and hedging of exposures while valuation has become a separate specialisation in its own right. We can help you manage accounting and regulatory change, achieve compliance and mitigate risk in relation to your Treasury or Commodity risk exposures and transactions by:
- Evaluating requirements and assist in the development of solutions for compliance with revised accounting and reporting standards (such as IFRS and FASB) and financial market regulations; and
- Developing accounting and disclosure activities.
Technology is indispensable for the success of projects and processes that involve a few people across disparate locations. It can provide secure workflow control when dealing with complex and high value transactions. However, technology is an enabler - not a solution in its own right. Proper tool selection is one success factor. Alignment of process and technology and correct implementation and integration are equally important for successful deployment.
We can help you develop your technology strategy, define functional requirements and preferred systems and implement and integrate systems across treasury functions and geographies to enhance efficiency, control and resource utilisation.
Treasury is a vital component in supporting successful M&A activity of a company. We help organisations navigate the full transaction lifecycle from pre-close diligence and support through post-deal day-to-day operations, treasury optimisation and value enhancement. We partner closely with other PwC deals, tax and accounting teams to provide full global support across the deal life cycle.